“Behind The Portrait”
15-16 October, 2018
EARLY BIRD SAVINGS – ACT NOW!
Regular price: €550.
Register by July 31 2018 and pay just €500!
Pressing the shutter is just a small part of a complex process that happens each time you get a person in front of your camera.
Challenge your inner creative with Sara Lando
The technical aspects of portrait photography can be learnt pretty quickly, but what most people find overwhelming about shooting people is everything that can’t be controlled with a knob or a switch: hopefully you won’t be one of those people any more, at the end of this 4 hours long seminar.
It starts with finding the right subjects to shoot and convincing them to take part in some weird scenario you have in mind: how do you communicate your ideas in a way that makes people thrilled to be shot by you? How do you make sure they show up and leave happy and excited? How do you take control of your set, pose your subjects in a way that flatters them without looking forced? How do you deal with the unexpected and still bring home your shot? How do you connect with your model and get them to emote in front of your camera? How do you get rid of the “standard photo face” people seem to make as soon as they see a camera?
These are just some of the aspects we’ll cover, along with model releases, finding creative inspiration and using self-portraiture as valuable tool to practice new techniques, but also as a way to experience how it feels to be on the scary side of a lens.
It can be challenging, awkward, uncomfortable, but also extremely fun.
Over the course of 2 days we will talk about ways to use what’s available around you to produce something unexpected and personal.
You won’t be shooting behind the instructor’s shoulder and go home with the exact same image every other student took. Students will be asked to shoot individually with the model following a brief, for a set amount of time.
You are familiar with aperture, shutter, ISO and understand how these work together to create a correct exposure.
You shoot in Aperture or Shutter Priority modes and can use the basic features on your digital camera confidently
You would like more opportunities to practise and consolidate what you already know and also to stretch yourself a little further both creatively and technically.
Your sense of adventure!!
- Your DSLR with fully charged batteries
- Memory cards
- Lens with ranges 50-105mm
- A tripod
- your laptop with a copy of Photoshop Cs3 or above
(If you don’t have a copy you can download a 30 day trial from adobe here. Please make sure you don’t download it too early as it only lasts for 30 days)
This workshop includes lighting equipment kindly sponsored by Phottix.
This workshop also includes models.
Terms & Conditions:
- All Workshops will be run in Porto, Portugal, within easy access from the town centre. We will contact the workshop participants via email with the precise time and location during the week before the Workshops take place.
- Please note that you are responsible for your own travel arrangements, hotel fees, etc.
- Please also note that you are responsible for your safety and the safety of your own equipment during the Workshops.
- If you cancel your Workshop booking up to 30 days before the starting date of the PPF, you will be issued a 70% refund.
- If you cancel your Workshop booking within 30 days of the starting date of the PPF, no refunds will be issued.
- If under unforeseen circumstances the PPF needs to cancel the Workshop, your tickets — and only the tickets — will be refunded in full. Your travel expenses, hotels, etc, are not covered under our cancellation policy.
By booking your ticket you agree to these conditions.